Kindergarten In-house League
The EBA's Kindergarten basketball league is offered to all Kindergartners
who live in and/or attend school in Edina.
The focus of the Kindergarten program is on learning the proper techniques of basketball (dribbling, shooting and passing) and having fun, not on games. During each session, the basics of basketball will be taught and explained. Some scrimmages may be run at your coach’s discretion.
Registration will open in September and runs through early-October. After that date, late registrations may be accepted, however a $25 late fee will be charged and there is no guarantee on team placement.
During registration, each player is allowed one MUTUAL play-with request. A play-with request must be mutual between two players. If the request is not mutual, there is no guarantee of placement on the same team. Your child my be placed on a team where he doesn't know all of the kids. Please embrace that and let your child meet and play on a team with kids from other schools.
The Kindergarten League is a parent-coached program, so volunteer coaches are needed. A coach’s clinic/training session (see Parent Meeting/Coach Clinic information below) will be held for all coaches. Each coach will receive a coaching manual that will include practice plans and information to help with teaching the correct fundamentals of the game.
2017-2018 Coaches Manual
The season will begin in November and run through early March.
Practices will be held on eight (8) Friday evenings rotating at one of the elementary schools in Edina. Practices run between the hours of 6 & 8pm (6-7pm and 7-8pm).
Three (3) games will be played throughout the season in a 3-on-3 format.
Games are played in a 3-on-3 format this season.
3-on-3 Game Rules
- Two half court games will run in each gym (roughly half of each team per side).
- Games are two 20-minute running time periods.
- Half time length is to be no more than 5 minutes and can be eliminated if games are behind schedule.
- Time outs are not allowed.
- Unlimited substitution after made baskets or when ball is not in play.
- Scoring: 2 points per basket inside the arc. 3 points per basket outside the arc.
- When called, play resets at the top of the arch. No free throws.
- Stealing off the dribble is not allowed. Stealing of a pass is allowed.
- No blocking shots.
- Defense cannot extend beyond the 3 point line.
- All other basketball rules apply.
- Change of position:
- Following a made basket or dead ball, the other team can check the ball in anywhere behind the arc. - Both feet and the ball must go outside of the 3-pt line at a change of possession.
- A ball that goes out of bounds under the basket is checked in behind the arc. The half-court line is out of bounds.
- Defense gets all jump balls.
- A defensive rebound must be taken past the arc (this includes air balls). There are no "free backs".
- No stalling. There will be a ref’s discretion 30-second shot clock. Failure to shoot in a 30-second period will result in loss of possession.
- Basketball hoop heights
- Kindergarten: 8 Feet (Boys & Girls)
- 1st Grade Boys : 8 Feet
- 1st & 2nd Grade Girls: 8 Feet
- 2nd Grade Boys: 9 Feet
- "Paper, rock, scissors" (PRS) will determine which team gets the ball first.
- A coach or volunteer will monitor clock/time.
- No scores will be recorded.
Both Boys and Girls = 8 feet
While your child is practicing/playing, you are responsible for the actions of your other children. Do not let them freely roam the schools.
Rosters & Schedules
Please use the dropdowns on the EBA's website (under the TEAMS tab) for all rosters. Schedules will be posted on the team pages.
Each player will receive a basketball jersey. Players will be given a junior-sized basketball (27.5 inches). The kids are expected to bring their basketballs to practices.
The EBA will coordinate a photo day during the season.
The EBA's policy states that once teams are formed no refunds will be given except with a doctor's written excuse or a move out of the district.