The focus of the Edina 1st & 2nd Grade Basketball League is to teach basketball skills including passing, defense, dribbling, shooting, basic techniques and coordination, and build upon the basics learned in the Kindergarten League. The 1st & 2nd Grade League encourages a positive learning environment, helps build confidence and self-esteem and provides positive feedback while striving for success.
Registration opens in early September and closes early-October. After that date, late registrations may be accepted, however a $25 late fee will be charged. Any registrations after the close of registration will be placed on a waitlist. Any kids on a wait list are not guaranteed team placement. We are limiting the number of registrants at the 1st & 2nd grade boys level to 120 so register early to ensure your spot.
The season will begin in early November and run through early March.
Teams will be divided as follows: 1st/2nd Grade girls will play together (team make-up will be half 1st graders, half 2nd graders); 1st Grade Boys teams, 2nd Grade Boys teams. Whenever possible, teams will be selected from the same general neighborhood area and/or schools. Kids are not allowed to "play up". During registration each player is allowed one play-with request. A play-with request must be mutual between two players. If the request is not mutual, there is no guarantee of placement on the same team. Your child may be placed on a team where he doesn't know all of the kids. Please embrace that and let your child meet and play on a team with kids from other schools.
Practices will be scheduled throughout the season on Wednesday evenings and possibly on some Monday evenings. These will also take place in the elementary schools. Practices will rotate between 6-7pm, 7-8pm and 8-9pm. We understand that 8-9pm can be late for some 1st & 2nd graders. However, if we cut off our gym times at 8pm we would have to cut the number of kids playing in our program by 1/3. We want to keep kids playing. So, if you are scheduled for an 8-9pm practice, please feel free to end practice early.
Eight - ten (8-10) games will be held on Saturdays throughout the season for the 1st & 2nd Grade players. These Saturday games are played on a rotating times at one of the elementary schools in Edina between 8:00am and 2:00pm.
Games are played in a 3-on-3 format
3-on-3 Game Rules
- Two half court games will run in each gym (roughly half of each team per side).
- Games are two 20-minute running time periods.
- Half time length is to be no more than 5 minutes and can be eliminated if games are behind schedule.
- Time outs are not allowed.
- Unlimited substitution after made baskets or when ball is not in play.
- Scoring: 2 points per basket inside the arc. 3 points per basket outside the arc.
- When called, play resets at the top of the arch. No free throws.
- Stealing off the dribble is not allowed. Stealing of a pass is allowed.
- No blocking shots.
- Defense cannot extend beyond the 3 point line.
- All other basketball rules apply.
- Change of position:
- Following a made basket or dead ball, the other team can check the ball in anywhere behind the arc. - Both feet and the ball must go outside of the 3-pt line at a change of possession.
- A ball that goes out of bounds under the basket is checked in behind the arc. The half-court line is out of bounds.
- Defense gets all jump balls.
- A defensive rebound must be taken past the arc (this includes air balls). There are no "free backs".
- No stalling. There will be a ref’s discretion 30-second shot clock. Failure to shoot in a 30-second period will result in loss of possession.
- Basketball hoop heights
- Kindergarten: 8 Feet (Boys & Girls)
- 1st Grade Boys : 8 Feet
- 1st & 2nd Grade Girls: 8 Feet
- 2nd Grade Boys: 9 Feet
- "Paper, rock, scissors" (PRS) will determine which team gets the ball first.
- A coach or volunteer will monitor clock/time.
- No scores will be recorded.
The 1st & 2nd Grade League is a parent-coached program, so volunteer coaches are needed. All coaches will need to register on our website, go through a background check and complete an online video about concussion management. A coaches training session will be held for all coaches. Each coach will receive a coaching manual (see below) that will include practice plans and information to help with teaching the correct fundamentals of the game.
2016-2017 Coaches Manual
Rosters & Schedules
Please check your rosters under the TEAMS tab on the website. Schedules will be posted on each team's team page.
While your child is practicing/playing, you are responsible for your other children. Do not let them freely roam the schools.
Each player will receive a basketball jersey. Parents should provide a junior-sized basketball (27.5 inches). Kids should bring their basketballs to practices.
The EBA will coordinate a photo day during the season.
The EBA's policy states that once teams are formed no refunds will be given except with a doctor's written excuse or a move out of the district.