The focus of the Edina 1st & 2nd Grade Basketball League is to teach basketball skills including passing, defense, dribbling, shooting, basic techniques and coordination, and build upon the basics learned in the Kindergarten League. The 1st & 2nd Grade League encourages a positive learning environment, helps build confidence and self-esteem and provides positive feedback while striving for success.
Registration opens in early September and closes early-October. After that date, late registrations may be accepted, however a $25 late fee will be charged. Any registrations after the close of registration will be placed on a waitlist. Any kids on a wait list are not guaranteed team placement. We are limiting the number of registrants at the 1st & 2nd grade boys level to 120 so register early to ensure your spot.
The season will begin in November and run through late February.
Teams will be divided as follows: 1st/2nd Grade girls will play together (team make-up will be half 1st graders, half 2nd graders); 1st Grade Boys teams, 2nd Grade Boys teams. Whenever possible, teams will be selected from the same general neighborhood area and/or schools. Kids are not allowed to "play up". During registration each player is allowed one play-with request. A play-with request must be mutual between two players. If the request is not mutual, there is no guarantee of placement on the same team. Your child may be placed on a team where he doesn't know all of the kids. Please embrace that and let your child meet and play on a team with kids from other schools.
Practices will be scheduled throughout the season on Wednesday evenings and rarely Monday evenings when weather or holidays have interfered with a Wednesday scheduled practice. These Monday evenings are to be used as makeup practices.These will also take place in the elementary schools. Practices will rotate between 6-7pm, 7-8pm and 8-9pm. We understand that 8-9pm can be late for some 1st & 2nd graders. However, if we cut off our gym times at 8pm we would have to cut the number of kids playing in our program by 1/3. We want to keep kids playing. So, if you are scheduled for an 8-9pm practice, please feel free to end practice early.
Eight - ten (8-10) games will be held on Saturdays throughout the season for the 1st & 2nd Grade players. These Saturday games are played on a rotating times at one of the elementary schools in Edina between 8:00am and 2:00pm.
Games are played in a 3-on-3 format
3-on-3 Game Rules
- Two half court games will run in each gym (roughly half of each team per side).
- Games are two 20-minute running time periods.
- Half time length is to be no more than 5 minutes and can be eliminated if games are behind schedule.
- Time outs are not allowed.
- Unlimited substitution after made baskets or when ball is not in play.
- Scoring: 2 points per basket inside the arc. 3 points per basket outside the arc.
- When called, play resets at the top of the arch. No free throws.
- Stealing off the dribble is not allowed. Stealing of a pass is allowed.
- No blocking shots.
- Defense cannot extend beyond the 3 point line.
- All other basketball rules apply.
- Change of position:
- Following a made basket or dead ball, the other team can check the ball in anywhere behind the arc. - Both feet and the ball must go outside of the 3-pt line at a change of possession.
- A ball that goes out of bounds under the basket is checked in behind the arc. The half-court line is out of bounds.
- Defense gets all jump balls.
- A defensive rebound must be taken past the arc (this includes air balls). There are no "free backs".
- No stalling. There will be a ref’s discretion 30-second shot clock. Failure to shoot in a 30-second period will result in loss of possession.
- Basketball hoop heights
- Kindergarten: 8 Feet (Boys & Girls)
- 1st Grade Boys : 8 Feet
- 1st & 2nd Grade Girls: 8 Feet
- 2nd Grade Boys: 9 Feet
- "Paper, rock, scissors" (PRS) will determine which team gets the ball first.
- A coach or volunteer will monitor clock/time.
- No scores will be recorded.
The 1st & 2nd Grade League is a parent-coached program, so volunteer coaches are needed. All coaches will need to register on our website, go through a background check and complete an online video about concussion management. A coaches training session will be held for all coaches. Each coach will receive a coaching manual (see below) that will include practice plans and information to help with teaching the correct fundamentals of the game.
2016-2017 Coaches Manual
Rosters & Schedules
Please check your rosters under the TEAMS tab on the website. Schedules will be posted on each team's team page.
While your child is practicing/playing, you are responsible for your other children. Do not let them freely roam the schools.
Each player will receive a basketball jersey. Parents should provide a junior-sized basketball (27.5 inches). Kids should bring their basketballs to practices.
The EBA will coordinate a photo day during the season.
The EBA's policy states that once teams are formed no refunds will be given except with a doctor's written excuse or a move out of the district.